Wednesday, February 1, 2012

True Love in the Media


 
The media...Does it ever portray stories of romance or love?

No doubt the media exhibits a love/romance theme all the time! Let's see what I can come up with in about a minute - Music: Adam Lambert's "If I Had You", Mike Posner's "Please Don't Go", Brad Paisley's "Little Moments", Christina Perry's "Thousand Years." Movies: Titanic, Ever After, Sweet Home Alabama, Tangled, and Serendipity. 

There are tons of love stories in the media. My question is how adequately does all this media portray TRUE LOVE? I’m thinking “not so much.”  It seems like the majority of the media I have been exposed to makes love seem very physical and temporary. It is very insecure, fleeting, sexual, spontaneous, and effortless. Any real life relationship I have ever watched has not dominantly had any of those characteristics. My grandparents, for example, are my picture of true love: secure, faithful dedication, emotional, constant, and full of hard work. People who are truly in love are usually very rational about their relationship, not irrational or selfish like those stories in Titanic or Serendipity. Can we picture the couples from either of those movies being happily married in their 40’s? There’s an interesting concept – can we picture the media romance couples MARRIED?!?! Or is that an element frequently missing in the stories of love and romance the media feeds us with. I feel like true love would definitely include marriage; marriage which is happy, fulfilling, and marriage that lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment